they start taking real damage.

From: Michael Taylor

I like that alot.

Im was trying to think of a way to make "Barroom brawls" less fatal by
allowing all unarmed combat to be fatigue damage. This way, the only
accidental deaths are from crits. Anyone given any thought to this?

Death by Fatigue
A look at some reality tests, and the TFT rules. This post is in three sections. Reality tests from history, gaming, and the news, and finaly the TFT rule on TAKING PRISONERS. To put my conclusion first, I feel that all barroom brawls are attempts to subdue. If a lethal duel breaks out, usually everyone in the bar backs off and watches. That or the bar tender pulls a crossbow and demands it be taken outside.

From history . . .
"Marathon was a run of 24 miles. The distance corresponded to the distance of the legendary run made by a Greek soldier named Pheidippedes. The story has it that the soldier ran all the way from Marathon  the site of a battle between the Greeks and the Persians  to Athens, where he delivered news of Greek victory before falling over dead."
    -Greek history and legends

My take on this: The soldier had gone berserk. Apparently the Greek victory had a lot to do with high morale and Pheidippedes couldn't wait to deliver the news. The outlook at the begining of the conflict was rather grim and the people in Athens were expecting to loose. He ran the whole way at MA+2, and suffering no reactions to injury. Upon delivering the news he dropped out of berserk and died.

From Gaming . . .
"All successful attacks were considered kills. The character then got a saving throw."
    - Dave Arneson "First Fantasy Campaign"

Gary Guygax introduced Hit Points into role playing (a mistake I think, but that is another discussion.) The point here is that even D&D and TFT opperate on the asumption that any attack is an atempt to kill. Both game systems go on to list specific exceptions to this. When characters are not trying to kill but subdue. Be it for the taking of prisoners or the conversion of monster followers.

My take on this: The existing TFT rule serves very well as it is. I specificaly allows that one can not be killed by subdual damage (page 26 AM). Even if using a weapon! Further, and to specifically address your question Michael ("I was trying to think of a way to make 'Barroom brawls' less fatal") I feel that the intent of the attacker should be obvious to all witnesses. If during the course of a 'Barroom brawl' an attacker starts trying to kill their opponent the entire demeanor of their attack will change.

From the news . . .
"03/07/2001: An American boxer has died nearly a week after he was knocked unconscious in the final round of a bout on the aircraft carrier Intrepid. Beethavean Scottland, 26, was knocked out by light-heavyweight George Khalid Jones in the 10th round of the fight after standing in as a late replacement. The father of three lost consciousness within minutes of his knockout. He underwent two operations to relieve pressure on his brain, including three hours of neurosurgery." - AP

My take on this: these guys were wearing gloves. If this isn't death by subdual turned critcal, I don't know what is. TFT allows for this with the critical = lethal rule on sudual damage. In a boxing match, like a barroom brawl, one is trying to force the other person to submit or go down. If boxers fought with lethal intent they would go straight for the kidneys, knee the groin, and stomp the neck once down. It would be obvious.

    David Michael Grouchy II

For the Curious . . .
Here is the section on TAKING PRISONERS in AM

From time to time, the players may wish to take a foe prisoner rather than killing him - or they may wsh to settle differences among themselves with a non-lethal brawl rather than a duel to the death. If you wish to subdue a foe rather than killing him, you may "pull" your blows, strike with the flat of the blade, etc. Tell the GM that you are attempting to take the foe prisoner. All your blows then do half damage (rounded down). In addition, your blows will not kill your foe; any hits he takes which would drive his ST below 1 are simply not counted. EXCEPTION: if you are trying to take a prisoner, but roll double or triple damage on your "to hit" roll, your blow does FULL double or triple damage, including crippling hits if that rule is being used, and may kill your prisoner. Also, any figure attacking with bare hands may elect not to kill. His blows do full damage, but do not drive the foe's ST below 1 - unless double or triple damage is rolled. If you enter HTH combat, you can try to subdue your foe by pinning him - see PINNING, under HTH combat. It is also possible to call for surrender at any time. A good GM will not always have his creatures fight to the death - after all, they like living, too! Characters who slaughter prisoners who surrendered should probably LOSE points, unless the characters have already been established as very evil. In that case, they might GAIN experience.