Re: (TFT) Fatigue Damage?

Thorn writes:

> dwtulloh@zianet.com wrote:
> >
> > Hit points are a really useful means to represent the
> > defensive skill of the character when they ARE IN A
> > POSITION TO USE THAT SKILL.  Unfortunately, D&D kinda
> > forgot that aspect of it and so we wind up with the
> > "Murphy's Rules" situations of 13th level fighters
> > being able to survive falls from any height, requiring
> > many, many arrows to kill the character, etc.
>
> I think a better way to represent defensive skill is a
> 'parry roll', or some such.  Of course, the fun seems to
> diminish by the square of the number of die rolls, so
> adding such (or having it in the sytem to start with,
> like Chaosium's BRP) has its cost.

I tend to agree.  But I would think these types of devices
are more useful in skill-based systems (such as GURPS) and
not in attribute-based systems (such as TFT).  Then too,
there's the issue of staying only with 6-sided dice.  I
tried to capture this somewhat with my H3 system, but that
failed to pass the scrutiny of the list.

> When I sat down to 'roll my own' game system, I found a
> way (not claiming I'm the _first_ to find this way, only
> that I didn't see any footprints) to fold the rolls
> together.  Of course, I had the benefit of all the work
> that had been done before me... but it's interesting to
> think how much less munchkined early RP might have been
> if they had folded a parry roll in, and managed to avoid
> the 'more, always more, is always better' trap of
> representing skill as some ablative quantity.

I'd love to see how you did this.  Was it simply a P1*(1-P2)
type of system, where P1 = Probability of Hit and P2 =
Probability of Parry given a Hit?

Dan