RE: (TFT) Charging and HTH

Hi all,
	My comments are interleaved below inside ***   ***

	Rick

> Michael,
>     I guess I deserve that one.  First though, it turns out that Rick posted
> a reply to Terry's question.  Let me reprint that first.
>

> >Rick wrote. . .
> >Hi Terry,
> >	The way I play (which I think is according to the
> >rules on this subject) is:
> >
> >	Charge Attacks.
> >	A charge attack is when you move from unengaged
> >to engaged, or when some one charges you.
> >
> >	You only get double damage with pole weapons if
> >it is a 3 hex straight line charge. (This is the same option as
> >charge attack but a subset of all charges. Any 3 hex straight
> >line charge is a charge attack but not all charge attacks are
> >3 hex straight line charges.)
> >
> >	You only get +2 DX with a pole weapon if you stand
> >still vs. a charge attack against you. (But the enemy will likely
> >weave on the way in preventing you from doing double damage
> >to them.)
>
>      The reason I was shaking my head is that the wording of Terry's
> question was such that it sounded like anyone could get DX+2 if they charge
> attacked.  Like Rick's last paragraph stated, the DX+2 is only if you set vs.
> charge which requires one to stand still (I'm not sure about the part where
> the target has to run straight at you though.  I'm pretty sure you can set
> vs. anyone who moves into your front hex.)

	***
	Yes you can get the +2 DX vs. anyone who has
moved adjacent to you. What I was saying was that they
could weave (not run 3 in a straight line) so that even tho
you got the +2 DX, you didn't get the *2 damage.
	***

>      The other point to bring up is that Pole weapons always go first,
> regardless of DX, on a charge attack.  After the initial charge pole weapons
> go in normal Adj. DX order.  That and they do normal damage, not x2.
>      So.  A person moves from any non adjacent hex (*1 see below) to engage
> a target.  If they have a pole weapon they automatically go first (*2 see
> below), and they do double damage.  If a person stands still and sets vs.
> charge they go first, get DX+2, and do double damage.
>
> (*1)  "A charge attack is defined as an attack in which the attacker moves
> from a non adjacent hex to a hex adjacent to his target.  If you begin your
> move next to (but not engaged with) an enemy, you can move one hex away and
> then move back - this is stil a charge attack.  Pole weapons are good either
> FOR or AGAINST charges"
>      -Page 12, POLE WEAPONS, Pargraph 2, AM

	***
	Note that you could back up one hex, and do a
charge, but it would not be a 3 hex straight line charge.
In my campaign you must back up 3 and then run forward
3 to get the *2 damage bonus. (Pole weapon users
REALLY like Running talent.)
	The rule above is not wrong (as in counterdicting
other rules) but it sure is confusing. It makes it SOUND
like you can get *2 damage by charging one hex. All I can
say is it isn't that easy in my campaign and I think that a
careful reading of the rules supports this view.
	***

> (*2)  "There are two exceptions to the strict rule of best-DX-goes-first.
> One has to do with pole weapons.  If a pole-weapon user is charging, or
> BEING CHARGED BY, another figure, roll his attack first, regardless of DX."
>      -Page 6, ATTACKS, Paragraph 9, AM
>

>      David Michael Grouchy II

	***
	By the way, I say that if an friendly unit is in
your rear hex when you have a long pole weapon
(spear or longer) you are at -4 DX using it.  If you have
a wall or an enemy in your rear hex when you have a
long pole weapon, you have a -6 DX using it.
	This small addition, goes a surprisingly long
way to make pole weapons feel awkward in tight fighting.

	Rick
	***