RE: (TFT) Calendar system for Cidri?

Calendar Cidri

In the process of trying to figure out what cidri is I have formulated several theories. As will be seen I feel the whole of these are best summarized in a calendar system. It may not seem like it in the begining. This post is broken into three sections. The first contains what I considered telling quotes from the section on THE WORLD OF CIDRI (ITL page 4-5). The second are some thoughts on the interactions of those telling quotes. The last, is my tentative conclusion.

Section One.
List of telling quotes from THE WORLD OF CIDRI. For emphasis, and to tie in to the discussion in section two I have put select words in each quote in ALL CAPS.

...alternate worlds that co-exist with Earth in other TIME-STRAMS. Paragraph 1

...his decedents had found, mapped, and conquered THREE HUNDRED SEVENTY-ONE alternate Earths. Paragraph 2

 Three had space travel; eleven had magic.  Paragraph 2

... the MEDICAL TECHNIQUES of 371 worlds made old age merely a measure of experience. Paragraph 3

It orbits the sun where the Earth would be - if there was an Earth in that UNIVERSE. Paragraph 4

The other worlds of PROBABILITY were once again left to their own peoples. Paragraph 6

 ... - and some of their gates still lead to other WORLDS. Paragraph 10

Section Two.
OTHER TIME STREAMS: I take this to mean the worlds of what if. What if the printing press had been kept secret. What if Ceasar had not been assasinated. What if the dinosaurs had continued to evolve. OTHER TIME STREAMS may mean different branches on the time line. Worlds concurrent with Earth but of alternate events.

THREE HUNDRED SEVENTY-ONE: This number is a pain. It isnt divisible by much except 7 and 53. Its too bad there are 52 weeks in a year and not 53. Then it would be easy to conclude that the worlds of OTHER TIME STREAMS that the Mnoren found would somehow be related to the length of this Earths year.

MEDICAL TECHNIQUES: Of the 371 alternate time streams only 3 had space travel and 11 had magic, yet all 371 had medical techniques. This tells that all the worlds found had some level of technology and, by implication, some kind of intelligent life. Apparently of the 371 worlds found, none of them were barren rocks devoid of life.

UNIVERSE: Apparently where-ever Cidri is the pattern of the stars indicates that it is in a different universe. This seems to go against the earlier implication of the other worlds just being alternate time lines. I say this because the only way I can see to tell that Cidri is in another universe is by looking at the stars.

PROBABILITY: Other worlds of probability. This one is very interesting. Could it be that the paths of alternate time lines go back so far, maybe billions of years, that the probabilities of evolution were set on completely different paths? Speaking of probability, of the 371 worlds there is only a 0.8% chance of space travel and a 2.9% chance of magic. A full 89% of them have neither, but they must medical techniques. This implies talents. Talents so at least Physiquer can exist. This further implies intelligence. This sets the chance of finding intelligence at 100%. The only probability I can see is how high that intelligence has gotten.

WORLDS: Some of the gates on Cidri still lead to other worlds. Cidri itself does not exist in the same universe as Earth. But what if it did. What if the alternate Earths were the same earth and the stars just appeared different because it was so far in the future, or past, that the constelations were unrecognizeable. It takes 250 million years for the sun to travel completely around the milky way galaxy. With the Earth being estimated at 4.55 billion years old this means the Earth is only 18 galactic years old. If each of the 371 alternate Earths was the same Earth, just in a different galactic year, there wouldnt be nearly enough. Especially considering a lot of the Earths early time was in an unstable state for intelligent life. That is unless the majority of the alternate earths are still in our future.

    Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic.
         -Arthur C. Clarke

Section Three
Conclusions. If have concluded that the key to Cidri is in the calendar. More properly stated; the best way to keep track of which alternate Earth one is on is to learn the science behind calender systems. For instance: the solar year is actually getting shorter. It is estimated that in 2,500 years the Earth year will be a single day shorter. Stated another way: 15,000 years ago the earth year may have been 371 days long. Another instance is to get the date on one world, go through a gate to another and wait a year, then return and see if one complete year has passed on the first world. I was struck by the fact that Rick Smith stated that the year was twice as long on his Cidri than the normal Earth year. My hats off to you sir. Have you been reading my notes?

    David Michael Grouchy II