Re: (TFT) d20 System Homage to TFT?

From: "Ty Beard" <tbeard@tyler.net>

I recently purchased D&D 3rd Ed, the "d20" system. You guys
may have already noticved this, but the d20 system's combat
system appears to pay more than a little homage to TFT.

Ty,
I have been digging into this "d20" system ever since Michael Taylor got back from Gen Con this year and asked "So my question to the group is: Is d20 going to kill all roleplaying systems but d20?" To be frank I like what I see. A lot. I hadn't bought the D&D book yet, but what you say above sounds even more encouraging. For everyone in the group here is a peice of an interview with one of the guys behind the D20 syste. The full link is ...

   David Michael Grouchy II

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_DoD_005.asp

Q. The "D20 System Trademark License" on the website seems pretty open. In essence, it seems to be granting anyone royalty-free rights to produce/publish and even sell gaming products derived from the D20 System, as long as they follow some basic rules. Is this a fair summary? Could you summarize what one can and can't do under this license?

A. The idea is to release a D20 System reference document under the Open Gaming License; essentially exposing the standard D&D mechanics, classes, races, spells, and monsters to the Open Gaming community. Anyone could use that material to develop a product using that information essentially without restrictions, including the lack of a royalty or a fee paid to Wizards of the Coast.

However, the >trademarks< of the D20 System are licensed by a separate document, the D20 System Trademark License. The terms of that License are substantially more restrictive. In other words, in order to use the trademarks that would let people know that you've made something compatible with the D20 System (and thus, by logical extension, with D&D) you need to follow the D20 System Trademark License as well as the Open Gaming License.

The License still won't let you indicate that your product will work with Dungeons & Dragons, nor will it let you use the "Dungeons & Dragons" trademarks (the actual title, the logo, the words Dungeon Master, etc.) To get the rights to do those things, you'll need to enter in to a separate, expensive, and very restrictive license with Wizards of the Coast. I don't anticipate participating in many such licenses -- we want tight control over the revenue stream derived from the D&D trademarks.

The D20 System Trademark License restricts you from creating a work that explains how to create characters, and how to apply the effects of experience to those characters. To be blunt, it means you can't take the D20 stuff and publish a complete roleplaying game to compete with the D&D Player's Handbook.

At some time in the future, after we've gauged the effects of this activity, we may loosen those restrictions. At this point, it is too early to tell if we will. (In fact, it's too early to tell if we'll release the D20 materials under the Open Gaming License at all -- that's the point of the internal debate...)