(TFT) Re: Traveller Computers

"David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com> writes:

>   I agree James, that the computers were enormous back when he wrote the
>game.  Even when I was on an Air-craft carrier latter they still had the
>rooms full off tape-to-tape monsters.  In every office there was also a
>little PC desktop.  But the tape-to-tape monsters actually did run a lot of
>the ships "fire control" and anti-missile systems.

...and other well-reasoned arguments for Traveller ships computers being
huge, even given today's technology. This leads me to suspect that he reads
the TML (Traveller Mailing list), where we discussed this at length just last
week (and have done so cyclically many times in the past 14 years...).
 The general upshot of that discussion was that there is nothing wrong with
the sizes of Traveller computers, only with the software capabilities as
represented in the original edition. I might note that this software model
disappeared from Traveller 14 years ago, with the appearance of MegaTr
aveller. I do not count the recent reprints of Classic Traveller to count in
this regard...

 Traveller in its various forms has five mailing lists (that I know of
off-hand) and two dedicated chat forums (one public, the other subscription)
for discussions of all sorts. I read *this* list for TFT...

GC