RE: (TFT) Charging and HTH

From: "David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: (TFT) Charging and HTH
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 23:27:05 -0500

From: "John Paul Bakshoian" <hailmelee@hotmail.com>

Hey, what about giving a halberd a "sweeping blow" ability?

John,
I have an old house rule on the halberd sweeping blow. At least as close
to a sweeping blow as I could find in history.  Sorry, it doesn't attack
multiple oponents.  It's fairly restricted.  I can't cite the source for
this info, but I heard that the halberd was used this way.

  HOOK PULL DOWN:  Halberd type weapons with a charging tip, and a hook
were used to set vs. charging cavalry, and if they missed then they would
immediately turn around and try to hook the rider so they could pull the
rider down off their mount.  They will hook the rider by their armor, of
flesh, and snatch them out of the saddle to fall rudely on the ground.  If
the rider is lashed to the saddle then they would just loose some armor or
take damage.  The ex-rider is supine and stunned (DX-4 next turn).  The
halberdier may try to drag the fallen rider by their armor next turn, or try
to disentangle the halberd from the armor.  If the rider was un armored the
halbadier may charge next turn.

  David Michael Grouchy II

David,

I like this very much. It knew the hook was to unseat riders, but now I have a better sense of it in TFT. Gives lots more value to the pole-arm man against a horseman in melee.

Before polearm men were nothing to a fully armored warhorse riding knight. Stop 6 points and 7 with a shield. With 3 or 4 fellow mounted knights, they could pummel many enemy, even if surrounded in melee by a dozen leathered enemy with swords. But put the two hoo & bill fighters behind the rank and have them try to hook the mounted knights and you will see the knights start to panic. What a nice change.

I recall many months (perhaps years) ago our discussions on pole weapons and rider charges. Did we ever cover how the pulling off riders might actually work?

Hail Melee,
John Paul