RE: (TFT) Rick's Fantasy Forum article

From: "Pasha and Rick Smith" <pnrsmith@istar.ca>

Hi Everyone,
	The message below dropped into my mail box a
few minutes ago. Who knows where it was or who it
talked to on its adventures in Cyberspace...

Rick,
I remember this. I had missed the discussion on fatigue strength (FS), but I have found it sence then. I also remember many complaints about the HTH system. I have an interest in the things people find wrong with TFT. To first determine if they are just mistaken or not, and second to see what opportunity exists for re-publishing TFT with just the few "mistakes" fixed. Anyway. I found the follow up / supporting material I had wanted to post on that thread. At the time is seemed to go dead so I didn't pursue it. Imagine my suprise this day to see that the post had been in limbo and just dropped into your mail box.

  Here is the HTH synopsis.

Dave Seagraves on 14 Feb 2000  wrote ...
Questions for everyone: How much damage does a cesti do in normal (i.e. non-HtH) combat? Can cesti damage be combined with an Unarmed Combat damage bonus? I've looked through the rules but all I get is "Answer Unclear, Try Again."

Michael Taylor on 17 Feb 2000 wrote...
Yeah, this has always bugged me as well. As far as I can tell, you cant use a Cesti or even a Dagger outside of HTH combat according to the rules! Are these weapons "better" in HTH. Can you use a Broadsword in HTH? Does it then do normal Broadsword damage?
The TFT HTH rules seem to be the weakest part of the combat rules...

Stan, on 18 Feb 2000  wrote
A dagger in melee does the damage shown on the weapon table. In HTH combat ANY attack by a person does damage based on the attacker's ST, with daggers and whatnot providing modifiers to that amount.

Joe Hartley on 18 Feb 2000 wrote
How many people really use the HTH rules? It's certainly not my chosen method of combat. Does anyone out there like using HTH combat?

Rick, on 18 Feb 2000 wrote
    I use the HTH rules!!!
They are a great equalizer for small races like goblins and Kobolds. If you can't get a mass of goblins to pin you helpless, while others try to twist you neck or stick daggers in thru holes in their armor, why, the little guys would get demoralized. Likewise players when fighting Revelii (the heavies in my campaign, 50 attribute religious warriors with hundreds of thousands of $ in magic items) if you can get them down into HTH they are much more easy to handle. I should say I don't use the normal TFT rules for HTH tho (is anyone surprised). If I get time, I'll post my new ones.

Dan Tulloh on 18 Feb 2000 wrote...
Mine either [chosen method of combat] ... but for certain animals and monsters, HTH is, or should be, their preferred method! Gargoyles and Bears come to mind, Im sure there are others.

Rod (Galendaar@cs.com) on 18 Feb 2000 wrote...
I have ran many games and for some reason HTH just doesn't come into play much ( In my games ). This tends to be the case with GURPS as well. I think if I were to have a situation arise where HTH broke out, I would still run it as normal just because I'm uncomfortable with HTH combat. Could be the fact that I don't use it much to begin with is the reason I'm uncomfortable with the HTH rules. Rod

Michael Taylor on 18 Feb 2000 wrote
    I only use it if someone wants to 'tackle' someone else..

I remember now that I was going to work up some specific examples of HTH as my group had played them. Some specific HTH character designs that were popular. And some of the values of HTH system as is.

   David Michael Grouchy II