Re: (TFT) Dug this out of my closet ...

From: dwtulloh@zianet.com

     The Bay of Smoke is often covered by a dense mist called
 "Dragon's Breath."  Due to the huge funneled wave, it is dangerous
 to enter or exit without a skilled guide.  The craggy area where
 the wave hits is known locally as the Dragon's Teeth.  At the base
 of this area is an entrance to an underwater cave.  This cave
 rises to above the water line (ie, there's an air pocket) and
 continues on into the recesses of the mountains.

Dan,
This reminds me of when I was living in Hawaii. There was a litte spot around the beach from Hanama bay that the locals called The Toilet Bowl. Have you ever seen a natural rock blow hole? A chanel in the rock that leads to a hole. The waves come in, compress and then spray up through the hole. Well right next to a typical blow hole there was a really large one, about 4 meters across. The water didn't spray out of it so much as it welled up and washed over the adjacent rocks which were very smooth a slick from years of this action. The locals would get in this hole and ride the wave. It was quite a thrill I must say. As the water pulled back to join the next incomming wave, everyone (8-10 people) would be lowered to a sandy bottom. There were were standing in the botom of a circular stone pit about 3 meters deep. In front of us was the arch, through wich we could see the wave comming down the channel and gaining force as it compressed. My first thought was that this wave was going to smash me into the back of the pit, but the water is moving fast enough to fill the pit before that and all the force is transfered upwards. We would be pushed up like ICBMs being launched from a sub. Then we would be washed out onto the slick rocks gigling like children. I think I spent an hour in there. Oh, defenitely post more material if you have it. I would like to read it.

  David Micahel Grouchy II