(TFT) character trees

Michael,
AD&D Dark Sun had the idea of character trees, whereby each player had 2-3
characters he could develop, but only have one at a time on any given
adventure. Thus, if one died, a player would have another of moderately
lower level to take up the slack so to speak.<

Yeah, that's the way I thought of having multiple characters and I've
always encouraged this in TFT.

It's less work for the GM if the player makes up all the 'NPCs' in their
party!

Also there's no problem with "Where-did-our-new-best-friend-come-from?"

Michael