Re: (TFT) Wizards at War

>From: srydzews@ix.netcom.com >Subject: (TFT) Wizards at War >Date: Fri,
19 Oct 2001 15:36:47 -0400 > >I would tend to agree that standard TFT
demographics (one trained, capable wizard per 300 population) would argue
against the idea of wizards attached to every squad, summoning bears and
throwing lightning bolts. If you have a world with 'professional' armies
of relatively small size compared to the total population, then maybe it
could be so. But with anything approaching a feudal mass levy army I
doubt there would be more than 1 wizard per 100 soldiers.

I like your post.

I know that your not necessarily replying to the Bryunthian Army set-up
when you made this post, but I would like to mention a couple of things
about that set-up.  Bryunthia is poor with a weak kingship.  It cannot
pay their wizards the amounts the other local countries do their
Warlocks.  Its "wizards" are mostly hedge-wizards who can fight and are
used for communication/scouting/interrogation.  But I also use the wizard
slot for Fighters who have learned a few effective spells to help out the
troop.  If your wizard becomes a teacher for every fighter in the troop,
eventually, they can all learn one spell (that the wizard has the ability
to teach).  Give them all Aid spell and you got ptoentially about 20
points going into that 1 wizards fireball (if the GM allows that much
power).

If you have a cleric that can do miracles and fight, and he is also a
physicker and cook, he can be pretty usefull to.

Bryunthia uses a lot of Speed Movement spells.  Also for those scouts,
Trailtwister comes in handy too.

>On the other hand, the statement that war is too important for wizards
to ignore is certainly true. Wizards are just too important not to have
them enter the fray. Either the wizards are in charge, making them
directly interested in the outcome of such conflicts, or they are work
for/are funded by the people in power, who will make sure that the
wizards do their part. > >And after all there is a job on the job table
called Mercenary Wizard.