RE: (TFT) hero 3IQ rule and wizards & hero

> >ymir_vilmeid wrote:
> >
> > about the heros learn spells at 3IQ, I can see
> > why jackson put in the system. but I don't like it,
> > I tend to overlook that section of the rules.

>From: srydzews@ix.netcom.com
>
>You--you do what?  Who do you think you are,
>mister?  Overlooking part of the holy texts--are
>you out of your mind?

     Ahhh HA HA HA HA HA!!!!  Stop it.  You're killin me.  HE HE HE.

From: "Pasha and Rick Smith" <pnrsmith@istar.ca>

	Note that there are a few talents that wizards
can buy at normal cost.

	My question to the list is this: What SHOULD the
rules be?  If we were to ignore cannon and just want to
build a fun rpg, what rules should we use?

	Saying that wizards and fighters can ALL buy
talents and spells at regular memory cost has a real
advantage in the simplicity department.  There have been
other role-playing games that took that strategy (Rune-
Quest for example) and did not seem terribly damaged by
the experiment.

Rick, et. all.
My approach to this is the same one I take to all house rules and modifications of the game. I wrap them up in some story or legend. I use TFT just as it is. With all its flaws and restrictions. Then I'll introduce the players to a new culture or "lost knowledge." I have introduced several versions of cults that can learn one or two spells at cost, even if the member is a hero. The are usually cult related spells. I have also had high priests with revival or demon summoning that only cost them one IQ point to learn. In the area of learning all spells and talents at cost, I usually reserve this kind of huge change to major powers. Like a Mnoren or demi-god. But that's not to say the occasional character in my campaign hasn't acheived such status. I find that introducing changes like this in the context of the campaign makes that game a lot more interesting. Players love this kind of stuff. It kind of becomes less special if everyone gets free access to spells and talents when they make their starting character. This approach also has the benifit of making everything that has gone before still true. I would consider a change like this to be a campaign breaker. The old one would have to be scratched and a new one started.

    David Michael Grouchy II