Re: (TFT) How to make specializing in TFT work in other ways.

From: dwtulloh@zianet.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) How to make specializing in TFT work in other ways.
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 06:06:41 GMT

Thorn writes:

> I think it more logical (if such a term applies) to have spellcasting
> talents along the lines of:
>
> Illusion: Image and Illusion spells, whatever your IQ allows
> Summoning: Summon x, whatever your IQ allows, one truename 'type' per
> point of IQ
> Conjury: Ropes, Walls, Fire, Ice (if you use that)
> Evokation: Missle Spells... needs work.
> Elementalism: Pick one from Paracelsus, get all that fit the schtick.
> Fireball, Summon Fire Elemental...  or Ice, Summon Water Elemental,
> Magic Rain... etc.
> Mentalism: Telepathy, LD-Telepathy... anything else?
>
> So a character might be an Illusionist/Mentalist/Fencer, or an
> Elementalist/Evoker, etc.

You mean arranging spells according to "colleges," a-la GURPS?
That doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Spells shouldn't be
mutually exclusive ... Summon Fire Elemental might belong to
both the "Summoning" and "Fire" colleges, for example.

What would be cool is if these "Crossover" spells had different
IQ requirements / ST costs depending upon the college from
which the spell was cast.  This might require a complete over-
haul of the TFT system however.

Dan

Keep it as a tack on to the regular rules. Someone mentioned that they occasionally bent the rules to accomodate an appropriate ability. Those blink dogs for instance, or a D&D history spell that was key to unravelling the mummy mystery. They worked up a reason that the spell was unique and only that group had it and because of that, it was not available to the regular players at opening gate.

Perhaps the different IQ costs are only getting over cultural aversion to something that is the antipathis to your philosophy: Fire spells for mermen, etc. Work it out and lay it over the current rules as cultural abberations and I think you can get away with it better.

Hailmelee,
John Paul