Re: (TFT) Wizard talent templates

Michael Taylor writes:

> 1. Isn't all this talk about wizard 'specialties' really just a
> way of doing GURPS' Limited Magery?

I don't think so.  IIRC, GURPS places two limitations on Spell
Casting.  1) Colleges and 2) Magery.  Some spells require you
be a member of the college and have a sufficiently high level
of magery to cast them.  I think what we're proposing is simply
using one or the other, but not both.

> 2. It seems like all these 'specialities' will make magic more
> common. Is this desirable?  Wont magic lose some of its'
>'wonder' if it becomes more common?  Does magic need to be more
> powerful?

I don't think this will be the end result.  A more likely outcome
is more 'hedge-wizards', with the really powerful wizards being
few and far between.

> 3. Can't all this magic specialization be done with role-playing?
> What's to stop a character (or a GM declaring an NPC) to be
> an 'accupuncture mage'?

The focus of this is to increase the role-playing opportunities
for a wizard character.  The current system doesn't let a wizard
learn too many other talents, they just cost too much.  The
proposed system would let a wizard learn Courtly Graces, Diplomacy,
Tactics, Strategy, etc.  All of which would be useful to a
wizardly advisor.  I'm sure you can think of other examples.

Dan