Re: (TFT) RE: Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents --> Wimpy talents

----- Original Message -----
From: Pasha and Rick Smith
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 5:50 AM
Subject: (TFT) RE: Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents --> Wimpy talents

Hi all,
David's post below suggests an
entire different way of looking at
talents.  Wimpy talents like Mimic
really don't belong in his system and
talents like cestus, don't deserve to
be a full memory point.

I'd go a bit further than David and say that primarily physical talents
require quite a bit of time to keep up, which is what takes the time away
from other pursuits.

In fact, the fighting talents
give you very specific skills, while
the thief / mechanician / physicker
give you character classes.

Somewhat true. Then again, I look at my own profession. I've got a broad
enough base of knowledge that I can probably muddle through something that
I'm not all that familiar with, just because I do similar things enough.

This suggests that their should
be a 3 point talent "Fighter" that
means that you are someone of the
fighter class.

Have you ever tried to learn a combat system or a single weapon, and stay
proficient in it? As for cestus, look at the modern professional boxer (we
have some here in town). How does a couple of hours every day strike you, at
a minimum? And Mimic. How many hours do you think Rich Little spent
improving that craft?

Part of the trouble here is that a Talent is not just being able to do
something, but do it really well. Sure, anybody can try a swindle, and it
might work if the other guy is dead stupid or not paying attention, but
someone with Business Sense can take a mark every time.

Is anyone interested in making
a list of talents that are "class talents"
only (get rid of all the wimpy ones and
leave only those that give you a character
type.

Absolutely opposed to this. They give the characters with them flavor, and
are useful if you think outside the traditional class boxes. You have to
play your character such that he gets to use those skills he bought. A hero
with business sense, assess value, and chemist isn't going to seek out
combat, and a thug isn't going to try to run an intricate company.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com