(TFT) Re: Is extra memory 'corrective' or 'inflationary'?

   Hey gang.  :^)  Haven't posted in a while.  Nothing to say, so I've
been lurking.

Michael writes . . .

>That said, I also allow "adjIQ" which allows more 'knowledge'
>points WITHOUT changing the balance of characters that choose
>not take that option.

   Absolutely.  It's been a few years since I started allowing
characters to buy up their IQ points ("adjIQ"), and from everything
I've seen it works extremely well.  adjIQ enhances roleplaying, is
more realistic, allows characters to be more flexible if desired, adds
fun to the game, and is completely optional to each player.  adjIQ
also attenuates the scalability problems with TFT, allowing players to
play their characters far longer before becoming attribute-heavy
/ubermensch/ (which has yet to happen in my campaign).
   If SJ didn't go far enough with TFT, but went too far with GURPS,
TFT + adjIQ seems just right.
   But on the down side . . .  well, there /is/ no down side!  I
haven't seen any lack of cooperation between characters with the adjIQ
rule available.  One character by himself is still probable toast
against a horde.  A party which doesn't cooperate is still at a
disadvantage compared to a group of technically equal power that uses
teamwork.

   On the other side of the coin -- making talents (and spells)
cheaper -- I don't see the need for it and I don't do it.  Cheaper
talents introduces problems into the game, such as making it harder to
transfer characters from one campaign to another, and just plain
changing the rules that we're all familiar with.  ("In ITL Fencing is
3 IQ points.  What did you reduce it to again?")  The costs of talents
and spells are just right as they stand now.  I feel adjIQ is a better
and cleaner solution over cheaper talents.

Pfc. Dave Seagraves   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 835-1776
Scout-Sniper (19D), 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, TMHS