Re: (TFT) Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents

From: "Ty Beard" <tbeard@tyler.net>

A relatively simple fix (I'm sure that others have suggested
this) is to give a free talent to reflect the character's
vocation -- sword, thief, physicker, whatever.

Ty,
One day a player pointed out to me that most of the starting humanoid races have some advantage but humans don't. "Why would anyone play a human he asked?" I use a trimed down list of only six races. Human, Orc, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, and Giant. Elves have MA 12. Dwarves get damage+1 with Axe/Mace, Halflings get DX+3 with missiles. Giants have 3 hexes and ST 25, even with double experience thats a lot. And in my campaign Orcs have very short life spans but recover fatigue at 1 point every ten minutes. I decided the player was right. Humans did come up short. Why would they be the dominant species. So I made an adjustment. Any human character could start with either a spell or a talent at cost. The players went nuts. Every wizard learned a weapon. Most went for sword, "Gandalf" style. Some of the heros picked up blur or aid. Not quite the free talent you mention above, but similar in its application.

  David Michael Grouchy II