Re: (TFT) Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents

From: Dan Tulloh <dwtulloh@zianet.com>

Yes, but only at a certain level of understanding.  A TFT
Mathematician isn't going to know that the galaxies recede,
about quasars, pulsars and black holes.

Dan,
I don't know how to respond to this. Let me get to your second paragraph first. Then I'll come back to this one.

I *do* think its a good idea to have "macro" talents.  A
TFTer can buy SWORD, for instance and get "KNIFE" for free.
But you need to be aware of the time frame in which the
talents are being used.

That said, I think that makes a better argument for the
"SpellCasting" talent I proposed earlier.  Suppose you
could learn a "SpellCasting" talent at IQ 8 at a cost of 4
IQ points or maybe even 6(!).  With this talent, you can
learn up to your IQ level of spells at no talent cost.
Without this talent, each spell is a separate talent
costing 1 IQ point to learn.  With this idea, it should be
a simple matter to do away with the extra IQ costs for
wizards or a warrior to learn a talent and you can get, for
example, shipwrights that can warp wood to match a mold
without going through the process of wetting the wood, etc.

Good post, David!

Why do you call it good? To tell the truth it was your "Spell casting talent" Idea that brought my argument into focus for me in the first place. I remember reading it and thinking "Well, if spell casting is made a talent, and spells get their own book; then all talents should have their own book." Or to say it forward: If one can't write a whole book on it, then it isn't a talent. Then I remembered the early days when TFT had entire AD&D character classes sumed up in short paragraph talents. And the list was much much larger than anything offered by AD&D. That really put what GURPS has become, into perspective for me. It also stimulated my imagination. Imagine if every TFT talent was a TFT book. Wizard, Ship Building, Gold Smith, Disguise, Physick.

  Now back to the first paragraph.

If TFT ever moved into a Sci-Fi setting, then the talents
will have to be changed to reflect that.  Astronomy n such
will need to be broken out from the general field of math.

I don't think that a talent for mathmatics would preclude someone from knowing that galaxies receed. Poor optics would. The mathmatics required to understand that galaxies receed, once they are discovered and measured with red shift, doesn't strike me as that complex. Now I feel compelled to drop my Science fiction version of TFT on the group. But I'm not ready yet. Let me go whip it up real quick. Back in a week.

  David Michael Grouchy II