Re: (TFT) Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents

Yeah! That's it! That's EXACTLY what I mean! As a GM, your character having
the Theif talent means that you get to roll less dice on any saving rolls
that are appropriate to your background! Whatever your background is.

Theif talent can mean your a computer hacker, a 2nd story man, an espionage
agent. Whatever the character wants. For the GM its just a rough guideline
how to give the player an appropriate bonus.

But definitely, roleplaying wins out! Whatever the player says goes. The
mechanics are just the 'props' for the story.

So as a player Theif talent means whatever you want it to mean in
relationship to that specific characters history.

Neil Gilmore<

No, I didn't mean that EVERY Theif has THOSE specific bits of baggage. I
meant that ANY talent can mean WHATEVER baggage the player wants to come up
with. If he can make it work --- without crossing too far into another
talent - the GM should allow it.

Atlas Games "Over The Edge" took the concept even further. Every character
had 5 Talents which were COMPLETELY definied by the player. It was pretty
interestng but a little *too* open-ended. It wound up with characters that
were kind of extreme and unbalanced.

Michael