(TFT) Optional facing

From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>

Hello everyone.
	One thing I did not like in TFT was that
the people who moved second could run wide
around someone facing them and get side or
rear hexes.

Rick,
I too have encountered this. It's a strange little story. Years ago, I'm showing James Hyfield how to play Melee. In our first fight our characters have six hexes between them. I win the initiative and make him move first. He closes the distance. Now there is only one hex between us. I use my MA to flank him. He was a little put out that he couldn't attack me that turn, but he didn't let it show. We finished the fight, and he never let that happen again. Something he only had to learn once. What I didn't know was that he still had a lesson to teach me. So about a week later James and I go out in the yard to spar with shani. We face off and start moving in. Suddenly he sprints past me like the wind and whacks the back of my left shoulder. I was quite suprised. Not at all the head on match I was expecting. I asked him about it and he said "I didn't know you could flank and individual until you did it in Melee." Of course, I have never let it happen to me again. Something one only needs to learn once.

Anyway, story aside, I like the look of your optional rule. Two things about it strike me. It feels playtested, just like you said. Also anything that speeds up the fastest fantasy combat game ever made and doesn't really impact the realism, is great in my mind. I think I'm going to test it out at my next session.

  David Michael Grouchy II