Re: RE: (TFT) Charge Attack --> Some alternate rules.

rsmith wrote:
>  I would like to make the counter
> argument that the back up and re-attack is
> ok.  Consider, a person is hit by a charging
> spear and falls down.  The attacker (assuming
> he is a fast enough runner) backs up a ways
> and attacks again using the momentum from a
> short charge to do extra damage.  Why not?

True, there's no doubt it could be done.  But
would it really be a better use of one's time
than just standing there and stabbing away?
I doubt it.  Consider the time it would take
to run a few yards away, and then run back and
slam into the guy.  The problem is that in the
game there's no reflection of this lost time,
it's one attack either way you do it so the
strange charge attack is the only way to go.

> The basic problem is that doubling the
> damage of a pole weapon may be too much.

Amen, brother!  The 'bonus for velocity' method
you propose is much like the approach we have
taken in my campaign (although, being table-happy
I have a little table of hexes charged and damage
bonus gained).  It doesn't stop this whole 'run
away and charge back' tactic, but it does make it
a lot less excessive.