From: tft-owner@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-owner@brainiac.com]On Behalf Of
Thorn
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 08:28 AM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) More stories from Jr High, off topic

I think the first RP was when my aunt gave me the D&D boxed set with the
white dice and the crayon, and Keep on the Borderlands.  "It's like
Deathtest", I said, "But it's HUGE..."

We had been playing Melee and Wizard, and some Death Test.  But the
closest to RP there was a brief pondering over the fate of an
unconscious (ST 1) foe, who had had the good fortune to be represented
by the counter with the hot dark-haired archer babe.  No such quarter
was even discussed for male foemen.  'She' was left to the mercies of
the dungeon, as we had other things to worry about...

Makes a good case for quality components.

KOTB had a town to base out of, and NPCs with rumors and such.  'Bree
Yark', and all that.  We played through it using TFT rules, because D&D
rules seemed to seriously gut the power of the existing (Deathtest
surviving) characters.  "The greatsword is going to do _what_?  1d6?!"

But it was a continuing storyline, and it was where we taught ourselves
to appreciate the larger world outside the dungeon.  For instance, the
falling price for salvaged weaponry.  "I've still not sold your last
batch of garbage, and I'll be damned if I'll pay more than 18 for the
lot!"

We got a better price from the head of the town's guard, who thought
eventually some critters would follow us back to town.