Re: (TFT) Monsters

>Michael,
  In general I like your intelligence table, but
being a born quibbler, I'm going to quibble with it a bit.

> IQ 5 for most mammals
> IQ 6 for intelligent mammals
> IQ 7 Semi-intelligent (i.e., apes)
> IQ 8 or 9  Low Intelligence

IQ 7 is always the sticking point.  It has always annoyed me that ITL
assigns apes and chimps an IQ of 7.  IQ7 is the minimum IQ to have weapon
talents, it is the normal IQ of giants, potential player characters.  To
say that apes are as intelligent is just silly, in my opinion.

Now someone may feel inclined to bring up the 'tool user' argument.  All I
can say is that knowing how to fling dung or bang on a nut with a rock is
not the same as knowing how to properly use and maintain a crossbow,
something a giant with IQ7 is perfectly capable of.

Really I don't quibble with your table at all, it's the IQ rating of apes
that I have a problem with.
=====<

I dont really have a problem with Apes having an IQ of 7. For me, not being
able to talk and not growing up in a society of tool using, literate
society is plenty of explanation for apes not being able to use a crossbow.
A crossbow is *learned* behavior.

Apes *could* use a crossbows - if you wanted to teach them. But this would
be a very expensive 'trick' (see ITL, page 13).

Besides, it's pretty easy to lower an ape's IQ to 6 without mucking with
game balance too much!

PS: I sent your brother $16 for some Space Opera modules in January and I
haven't heard from him since! Could you tap his shoulder for me?!

Thanks!
Michael