Re: (TFT) Blane & SJ

I dont think so. They *dont* just 'roll to hit'.  They pick their
positions, they pick their options and they pick which enemy they attack.
The 'roleplay' warriors even though most of them haven't had a real fight
since grade school.

As a GM I don't tell them "Hey, you should remember that Orcs have troops
of 6 and so one of them is sneaking around behind you!" or "You'll get a +2
DX bonus if you attack from the side - dont forget this, because you have
the Sword talent!"

So as a GM you *do* require narration of their actions. And there are just
as many oportunities for roleplaying in combat as well, earning the
appropriate roleplaying bonus or +2 DX bonus for clever moves as well.

Yeah, okay, if  that's the way you feel, you go right ahead...

But I don't feel that GMing is at all about that. It's about entertaining
the audience. And the audience is both the GM and the other players.

So while in some cases you might allow characters to ignore the tedium of
some procedures -- just like a 'quick cut' in television, you also allow
characters to make the same kind of mistakes that characters make in
television all the time - because it's more interesting to watch.

It doesn't. It requires the *same* narration!

So let me get this straight. You just allow a player to walk up to a
hostile orc and say "I Diplomacy him." clatter of dice. "I made it."?
Sounds like fun....

Sure, but since you added the reasoning that it was about being "impressed"
it's a strawman position.

Thanks!
Michael