RE: (TFT) Crossbows Are Too Powerful ?

Hi Everyone,
	I seemed to have missed the post that
started this thread but here are my thoughts.

	The jump from a 1 die horse bow to a
1d+2 longbow for a only one point increase in
minimum ST bothered me to the point where I
increased the minimum ST of long bows to 12.
(I added a 1d+1 hunting bow at ST 11.)

	Part of the reason for this change was
you had to be STRONG to use a long bow
effectively.  Almost no one had the upper body
ST to use it, and it had to be developed with
years of practice.

	I added composite bows, (see my new
weapon list on Ty's site) which did more damage
for a given strength of draw.  However, as per
Steve Jackson's thoughts on rapiers verses
broadswords, I ignored reality and made them
require significantly more ST to use.

	After I finish up Undead, I was thinking
of writing rules for sieges in TFT.  I picked
up "The Palladium Book of Weapons & Castles"
by Matthew Balent.

	In this book, he suggests that the heaviest
crossbows (using steel instead of wood) did 2.5
times more damage than a long bow.  The wood,
composite and backed crossbows did damage near
what a long bow did.

	I agree, the ST needed to use a crossbow
quickly in TFT require the user to cock the bow
with brute force, thus prompting the high ST.
Much weaker people can use crossbows using goat
foots and cranequins (see Advance Melee).  The
cost is that they may only be fired once per
minute or so.

	(TFT is very generous about the firing
times for ranged weapons.  Longbows realistically
should be fired once every 2 or 3 rounds, & using
a cranequin should take a minute but TFT allows
it to be done in 30 seconds.  It is easier to
strike twice with a sword or another balanced
weapon in a 5 second period than get off a couple
of shots with a heavy bow, but bows are the only
weapon that get to fire twice per turn.)

	The thing is, any combat rules for a fantasy
game are unrealistic.  What we should strive for
(not necessarily in this order) are:

-  Fast
-  Playable
-  Tactically interesting