Re: (TFT) Crossbows Are Too Powerful in TFT or Longbows are NotPowerful Enough

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan" <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>

> Prophesor wrote:
> >
> > --- Ty Beard <tbeard@tyler.net> wrote:
> > > -Longbows require a ST of 13 and do 2+1 damage.
> > > -Heavy Crossbows require a ST of 12 and do 2+1 damage.
> > > -Light crossbows require a ST of 10 and do 1+1 damage.
> > >
> > > These weapons ignore all armor and shields.
> >
> > Sign me up!
> >
> > Good try, but TFT is too tight to tinker with so casually.
> > Anyone I know who's tried, winds up building their own system.
> > :)
>
> Amen to that.  You can change things, but don't expect it to be
> without...ramifications.

Uh, gents -- I don't want to sound unkind, but I really don't feel the need
to be lectured on the pitfalls of making changes to TFT. I've been making
changes to TFT since I bought Melee in 1978, as I suspect many of us here
have. And I happen to disagree; IMHO TFT is a very loose system...

> If you're really intent on this, I
> suggest adding a separate longbow skill to reflect the extreme
> amount of skill which (as I understand it) is required to
> effectively use a medieval longbow, as opposed to a small bow.

Interestingly, I thought of this too, as a game balance tool, when I was
going to recommend that longbow damage be increased to 3d. The problem is
that it really doesn't matter -- even a separate 2 point longbow talent
would be a worthwhile investment for a warrior if he could deal out 3d
missile attacks with a ST of 11...

--Ty Beard