Re: (TFT) Crossbows Are Too Powerful in TFT or Longbows are Not Powerful Enough

----- Original Message -----
From: <dwtulloh@zianet.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>

> Ty Beard writes:
>

> > -Longbows require a ST of 13 and do 2+1 damage.
> > -Heavy Crossbows require a ST of 12 and do 2+1 damage.
> > -Light crossbows require a ST of 10 and do 1+1 damage.
> >
> > These weapons ignore all armor and shields.
> >

> I think you are on the right track but ignoring armor and
> shields is an oversimplification. Range to the target must
> be a factor since the missiles slow down during flight and
> lose their ability to punch through armor at some point.

This is true, but I don't think it would be an issue at normal TFT combat
ranges.

> I'd suggest a maximum effective range against armor type
> or, to make it simpler, the number of hits stopped.  As the
> number of hits stopped gets higher, the maximum effective
> range gets shorter.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to
> vary the damage as well to represent the remaining power of
> the missile after it has punched through the armor.

Yep, there's a variety of ways you can fiddle with the concept. I chose the
simplest solution of all and obviously YMMV.

The bottom line is that penetration and damage are not the same and beyond a
certain point, higher penetration does not equate to a higher chance of
killing the target.

--Ty Beard