Re: (TFT) Random thoughts on rpg combat systems.

Rick, what an eloquent post, I dips me lid !
I'm glad someone else wrote alot of what I feel.

-2 things though,

> The major realism thing that bugs me about
> TFT is the length of combats.  Consider, when an
> army has taken 10% casualties, (that is seriously
> wounded or killed) their moral is typically so
> shaky that they may break at any time.

True, this is more a GM's interpretation (well, 90% of GMs really, including
me most of the time), one could always make stricter morale rules.

Also, in 'real-life' most combats were humans vs humans or animals, undead
never existed in the real world (as far as we know.......) or trolls, I
figure the morale of something that knows it will regenerate would have to
be high.

  Ancient
> battles lasted all day sometimes.

- Ok then.........if you reduced everyones adjDX by 3 or 4 (remember, peons
not heroes) and multiplied them by 50 or so ( a few hudred people on each
side), and had rules for fatigue and had no magic (good for zapping people),
it would take ALOT longer, but as you say, would it be fun?

> I have been trained as a programmer, and
> one good design rule of thumb is make your
> programs data intensive rather than code intensive.
> This means that put as much complexity into the
> data, while keeping the basic rules simple

WOO HOOO (said in Homer Simpson accent), more monsters  and spells!

Cas