Re: (TFT) Crossbows Are Too Powerful in TFT or Longbows are Not Powerful Enough

The only problem (if it is a problem) with creating a 3d-2 'english longbow' is that it throws heavy crossbows on the scrapheap.  3d-2 every turn vs. 3d every third turn?  I still can't see anyone going the crossbow route with those numbers.  Now if crossbows didn't take a talent to use, then maybe.  (My army of crossbow-armed apes, from a previous thread, comes closer to reality every day.)

I think your remarks on piercing weapons are, hem, "right on target".  With that in mind, though, one has to wonder why longbows do 1d6+2 but english longbows do 3d6-2?  The minimum is actually lower.  It would seem the old longbow should be re-rated to 2d-2 to remain consistent.  (Which is lousy, I know.  Really, the ideal replacement to keep the same average damage as d6+2 but lower the minimum would be a simple d10, but we don't deal with them thar fancypants dice in TFT land.)

One other comment:
> The weapons list for ranged weapons in
> Melee/TFT is *frustrating* for an archer.
> As has been pointed out, an archer can
> run up to a ST11 weapon that does 1d+2
> damage - and that's it! ... To go beyond
> this, he has to sacrifice rate of fire to
> unacceptable levels and switch to
> a crossbow.

Well, to be fair to the crossbows, you can get
1 shot per round with a light crossbow at DX14.
Not that hard.

Stan