RE: (TFT) New weapon list for ranged weapons --> fine bows?

Hi David,
	The fine weapon rules in TFT only allow
"...sword, polearm, hammer, mace or ax (but
no other weapons)..." to be made fine.

	AM page 22, first sentence in section
FINE WEAPONS AND ARMOR.

	(I've always wondered how a mace or hammer
could be made so fine that they do extra damage...)

	So I think that you have been very generous
when you allow fine bows.  They could be enchanted
of course.

	If you say a composite bow is a fine weapon
(since they take two years to make and season they
should be!) then adding +2 damage is reasonable.

	My feeling is that there is no reason that
bows could not be made fine, but being able to
project damage is so valuable that I've simply
gone with the rules as they exist now, and not
allowed it.  (My composite bows fly in the face
of reality and take more ST than the old longbows,
for playability reasons.)

	I agree about what you say on the advantages
of projecting damage.   I think this is the reason
that SJ put in the Reverse Missiles spell.

	Building a longbow is arguably already fine.
It is what is called a 'backed bow' made up of
layers of wood with a sinew backing that made it
stronger and more flexible.  The whole package
was then laminated together.  A long bow took a
fairly elaborate technology to build and I could
easily see 'less fine' version doing 2 less damage.
I could easily see someone arguing that longbows
and composite bows require Master Armorers to build.

	Longbows and composite bows should be much
more expensive.  I would suggest that a composite
bow cost $2000 and a long bow be $500.  These
weapons took weeks to build and usually had to
be allowed to season in order for the low technology
laminates to properly harden.

	Rick