(TFT) I knew this guy

I knew this guy. Robert Miles, my first DM ever. He had been running a D&D campaign for a couple of years based on hear say when he finally got his hands on some books. So I get a call from him. 'Come over.' he says. 'I've got a new campaign.' So I went for a solo adventure. He has me roll up some statistics and then tells me that I'm a human fighter. I give him a name, choose chaotic good, and we start. Robert pulls out a big poster board with a dozen circles drawn on it. Each circle has a name. 'Which world do you want to visit first?' He asks. So I just pick one. 'That's the planet of chaotic good. Lucky for you.' He pulls out his Monster Manual and starts from the first page. He flips pages till he finds a suitable chaotic good creature. 'You encounter centaurs' he says, and then starts rolling some dice. 'They like you a lot.' Rolls some more dice. 'You get married.' Rolls some more dice. 'You have eleven kids.' Rolls some more dice. 'All in all you spend twenty seven years there. He puts down the Monster Manual. 'O.K. Pick another world.' I look at the poster board for a minute, and pick another planet. His face lights up with glee. 'That's the planet of chaotic evil.' He grabs his monster manual and starts from the begining. I find myself in a fight with a centepeed. I make my save vs. poison and quickly dispatch the crawlie. I'm not so lucky on the next encounter. I never realized how early in the Monster Manual demons appear. It was a short campaign, but my character lead a long full life. Before he died. I'll never forget the experience. It was about this time that I started wondering if random encounter tables of any kind were a good idea. I was begining to think not.

   David Michael Grouchy II