(TFT) I knew this guy

I knew this guy, Ed Ott, he is usually the leader in my campigns. I learned something a while back that serves me well. When ever I want to start a campaign that is going to run for a while I always start it with a solo adventure. One player only. I give them all my attention and establish the tone of the campign with them. Then at the next session I will bring in other players to help the first one. Ed was usually the leader. Not always, but campaigns that started with him tended to do well. So this guy Ed makes a character called Glens (another case of a strange name with a plural spelling) and the first thing he does is start a movement of fanatics. He tells me he wants an army of blind followers who will die for him. As is my way I indulge him. Then he starts a holy war with the Temple of Xorn. They are declared 'the' enemy and the skirmishes start. Soon the whole city is aware of a war between temples. Things turn bad for Ed's character Glens when he is captured. Or so I thought. I figured the other players would mount a rescue, but Ed has another idea. He wants to handle it himself. He wants to play it out solo. The character is put in iron chains, he's a wizard, and locked in a deep cell under the Xorn temple. There he is chained to the walls with other prisoners. Iron shackles turn out to do only one thing. They slow him down. He tires lock/knock at -4 DX then he rests. He tries again. A couple of hours and it works. He's free. Still locked in the cell, but walking around. He doesn't free the other prisoners. Instead he says he is going to use them to drain their ST. I was expecting him to lock/knock the cell door and sneak out. Now I have no idea where he is going with this. Ed says 'I have this IQ 14 spell to summon a demon, but it costs 20 strength. But it says here that it takes 5 turns to complete the spell. So I can spend 4 points a turn and drain ST from the captives to recharge while doing it.' I have a feeling this isn't strictly legit, but I'm impressed with his plan so I let him do it. Besides, I figure, he's got to make DX rolls for all the drain-ST and if he fails the final DX roll to summon the demon it will appear anyway and attack him. Well Ed is hot and makes every roll. He rolls double damage on the last roll. All I can think is wow. Ed has his character climb onto the demon's shoulders and says 'Take me to the High Preist of Xorn, we're going to kill him.' Glens set about reaping his hellified revenge. Several really great assasinations ensued with Glen's getting surprise for the first turn. When he finally wound up in the courtyard cleaning up lesser guards I had his fanatical followers start comming over the walls to 'rescue' him. Besides, he had already gotten enough experience. That and the demons twelve turns were up.

   David Michael Grouchy II