Re: (TFT) Re: d20 TFT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Seagraves" <zilch@austin.rr.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>; "Dave Seagraves" <zilch@austin.rr.com>

Ty writes . . .

> >a. Change all attribute rolls to 1d20. This will make the jump from
> 10
> >to 11 to 12 far smaller and will give some benefit to real high
> stats.
>
>    Mmmm . . .  No matter how high the defender's adjDX the chance to
> hit him remains the same.  In a big TFT battle I can see discarding
> defense rolls, but in a PC-NPC combat I prefer a little more detail
> here (and a little less lethality).
>    Your d20 system also lacks scalability, although I admit this isn't
> a big problem, just a small one.  The Expert and Master weapon talents
> mitigate this somewhat, but there is still an upper limit where
> eventually highly-experienced characters are hitting almost all the
> time.

The intent of the expert and master talents was to relieve the "everybody
hits every time" syndrome without resorting to a Gurps style defense roll
(and throwing out the baby with the bath water). By going to a d20, we
create a much greater range for meaningful attributes. A 36 point character
with 12 in each attribute will succeed on a 3d6 roll 75% of the time. In the
d20 system, you'll need a 45 point character to do so. This is a Good Thing,
I think.

And yes, ultimately you'll max the d20 system out. But it's much better than
3d6 I think.

>    But despite the problems I wouldn't mind playing a character in a
> campaign using your system.  I also like rolling one attack die for
> each NPC.

Yes, that's a collateral advantage. If you really want to speed it up,
convert TFT weapon damages to single polyhedral die rolls. Though there will
be a slight loss as players fumble for dice.

> >(A previous experiment entailed granting a number of "fatigue points"
> >equal to ST. These were lost before actual ST and were easy to
> recover
> >with rest. The result was that combats went on too long.)
>
>    The easy fix for this is to assume that the first half of a
> figure's hit points are "fatigue" and can be rested or physicked back
> to normal.  So a ST 12 fighter who takes 8 hits in a particular fight
> gets back half his hits (6) after the fight, leaving 2 hits to deal
> with in some other way.
>    Or even better, assume that half the damage taken in a fight is
> short-term and can be physicked away.  The same fighter who took 8
> hits would get 4 back when attended by a physicker after the battle.

Hmmn, I like it. If the current system doen't work out, I may try this one.

> Lt. Dave Seagraves   zilchATaustin.rr.com
> Combat Physician, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, TMHS

Ah, a real master physicker...

--Ty