(TFT) Guns in TFT...

...are too wimpy. An arquebuss does 3+3 (one die better than a heavy
crossbow), takes 4 turns to set up and will only fire once every 12(!)
turns. It has a 1 in 6 chance of misfiring. And a cost of $100 per shot. The
+4 DX bonus for Guns talent is an insufficient counterweight in my opinion.
And a whole minute to reload under combat conditions strikes me as
unnecessarily harsh. A trained muskteer could fire a musket about 3 times
per minute (or once per 4 turns) under combat conditions IIRC. Only a fool
would take a gun in TFT as the rules currently stand.

Now this may be due to a reluctance to overshadow hand to hand combat.
Understandable, but I think unnecessary. TFT's tactical system usually
ensures that no more than one heavy crossbow shot is taken, for instance.

So without further ado, here are my corrections for TFT firearms:

Guns Talent
Guns are actually far easier to use than bows, etc. Thus, I would lower the
cost of the guns talent to 1, and get rid of the +4 DX modifier.

Long Guns
All are 2 handed weapons. Only the Flintlock Musket may be fitted with a
bayonet. The others are ruied if used in melee combat (as a club or to
defend with). Unless otherwise stated, treat as a missile weapon for range
adjustments.

Blunderbuss: Based on some experience with modern shotguns, I think the
"blast everything in a wide area" rule of TFT (and many other RPGs for that
matter) is grossly overstated. So scratch that rule. Blunderbusses now fire
at one target, but at +6 DX. If there are multiple creatures in a single hex
(i.e., rats), every creature is attacked (roll separately). Damage is 3D.
Blunderbusses are very inaccurate, so -1 DX per megahex. It fires every 4
turns (3 if AdjDX 14+). ST 10 required. $200

Arquebuss: This is the basic long gun that fires a single 1 oz. projectile
at about 300m/sec and includes all of the early gunpower long guns. It fires
every 5 turns (4 if AdjDX 14+). It does 3D damage, but ignores all
nonmagical armor.* ST 10 required. $300

Musket: This is the heavier long gun that replaces the arquebuss. Fires a 2
oz. projectile. It fires every 5 turns (4 if AdjDX 14+). It does 4D damage,
but ignores all nonmagical armor.* ST 10 required. This weapon is more
advanced than most TFT campaigns. $300 if commonly available; $3000+ if
rare.

Flintlock Musket: This is the weapon that replaced the wheelock musket and
pike, circa 1700. Its socket bayonet allows you to treat it as a 2 handed
spear (and it won't be ruined if used in melee). A robust, effective weapon
that kicks like a large horse. Fires a 2 oz ball. It fires every 4 turns (3
if AdjDX 14+). It does 4D damage, but ignores all nonmagical armor.* ST 11
required. This weapon is more advanced than most TFT campaigns. $300 if
commonly available; $3000+ if rare.

Rifled Misket: A very accurate version of the Flintlock musket (-1 per 4 MH,
not counting the first 4). Not typically fitted with a bayonet. It fires
every 4 turns (3 if AdjDX 14+). It does 3D damage, but ignores all
nonmagical armor.* This weapon is more advanced than most TFT campaigns.
$400 if commonly available; $4000+ if rare.

Pistols
All are 1 handed weapons and are -1 per megahex of distance the target is
away (don't count the first megahex).

Wheelock pistol: Fires a 1 oz bullet and is very inaccurate. It fires every
4 turns (3 if AdjDX 14+). It does 2D damage, but ignores all nonmagical
armor.* $150 if commonly available; $1500 if rare. Includes all early
pistols.

Flintlock pistol: Fires a 1 oz bullet and is very inaccurate. It fires every
3 turns (2 if AdjDX 14+). It does 2D damage, but ignores all nonmagical
armor.* $150 if commonly available; $1500 if rare. Includes all later
pistols.

Notes
1. Cost should be set by the GM. More advanced weapons should be more
expensive obviously. I have included my guidelines.
2. Ditch the 1 in 6 misfire rule. Instead, gunpowder weapons misfire on a
16. This takes an extra turn to reload.
3. Guns are now readied like any other weapon.
4. Guns talent costs 1 IQ point and does not give a +4 to hit.
5. Guns are -2 DX if fired by someone without the guns talent. One without
the Guns talent may (or may not) know how to reload the weapon. GM's
discretion here.
6. If a gun ignores nonmagical armor, this means to ignore the nonmagical
part of magic armor's protection. So +3 plate will stop 3 hits from such a
gun. Normal plate will stop none. Note that a blunderbuss does not get to
ignore nonmagical armor.
7. Cost per shot is $25.
8. There were all kinds of odd conversions and attachments for guns
(especially for pistols). Most were very expensive and of dubious worth.
Some examples:
    Shieldgun -- a pistol combined with a small shield. Fires like a pistol
and acts like a small shield (with -1 DX). Takes 1 turn longer to reload.
Costs $600+
    Gunknife -- a pistol combined with a long dagger. Fires like a pistol
and acts like a dagger. If used in combat, has a 1 in 3 chance of being
ruined as a gun. Costs $500+
    "Pepperbox" -- a multibarreled pistol. Has 2-5 barrels and can fire one
each turn (2 per turn if AdjDX 16+). Takes 6 turns to reload for each barrel
(5 if AdjDX 16+). These guns are mechanically cranky and have a 1/6 chance
of jamming on the 2nd and each subsequent shot. The gun cannot fire if
jammed. It takes an action to clear a jam (roll 3/DX to do so). Costs $300
plus $200 per barrel.

Disadvantages that Still Remain
1. They're still very slow to fire. In a typical battle, the gunners will
get one shot off before drawing swords. Though screening your gunners with
pole weapons might work pretty well too.
2. They're LOUD. A gunshot in a dungeon should bring all manner of nasties
to investigate.
3. They're still expensive.

Comments?

--Ty