RE: (TFT) Guns and Armour Penetration.

--- Ty Beard <tbeard@tyler.net> wrote:
> [...]
I'm sorry Mr. Beard, as I have much respect for you
and your writings on TFT, but you are dead wrong on
this one. "Armor of Proof", which consisted of a back
and breast plate, were common for soldiers in the
English Civil War. There were two types, Pistol proof,
and Musket proof, the difference being the weapon it
was tested by. The test consisted of a double-charged
pistol or musket (by double-charge meaning twice the
normal charge of gunpowder, making the bullet fly much
faster than normal), discharged at the armor, at about
10 paces. The armor, to be sold, had to sucessfully
stop the bullet, and it was mandatory that the
proofmark, the dent from the stopped bullet, be
readily apparent. Armor of proof is little different
from medieval plate, and indeed, not as thick as some
of it, so if the metal is of about the same toughness
(something you have to decide in your own campaign), I
see little reason that full plate, especially fine
plate, could not stop a bullet from a pistol or
arquebuss easily.

John Hamill
jwdh71@yahoo.com