Re: (TFT) RE: Armor of proof

Hi Rick,

> All weapons that do damage with deep penetration
> can blast thru people missing anything important (it
> is just a flesh wound!), or penetrate a relatively
> short distance and hit something vital.
>
> How about mid technology pistols do something
> like (2d-3) * 2 with armor protecting normally?  Higher
> tech or bigger weapons could do things like (2d-3)*3
> etc.

Are you saying that you should roll 2 dice, subtract 3, then triple the
result? If so, this is an interesting solution. Did you use a multiple so
that damage would be wildly variable?

If so, you could take it further by rolling 1d-1 and multiplying by 4 (or
somesuch).

Or did you mean something else?

> I had heard of 'Armor of Proof' but I did not
> realize that the proof mark was the mark the slug
> left on the armor's finish.  (That is actually
> pretty cool!)

I am concerned with concluding that armor would provide significant
protection from muskets unless we can pin down the ranges that the tests
were made. (Actual primary source combat accounts would be even better). The
reason is that I would expect the velocity of a spherical projectile to
attenuate much quicker than a conical projectile. Thus, penetration and
damage should be much higher at point blank range than at say 150 yards.

> Basically my feeling is that the TFT death and
> dying rules are so unrealistic, I don't feel that we
> should weld a bunch of complicated or slow rules to
> the system even if those rules are realistic.  Keep
> the rules lightweight and fast, even if they are
> fairly unrealistic.

In general I agree. I was proposing a rule that would make guns ferocious
enough to be attractive to TFT players. Ignoring physical armor is a nice
advantage that should do the trick. However, I would not want to propose a
rule that would make them ahistorically effective.

--Ty