Re: (TFT) The Heresy Continues... Recap and 1st Level MU Spells

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:45:29 -0500 Ty Beard <tbeard@tyler.net> wrote:

> 1. The indignant howls of outrage have not
> deterred me from my heresy, but
> have instead convinced me of the justness of my
> cause . :-)

Ah, there's nothing so foul a willful heretic.  "He walks in darkness and is
lost to us."

Have you forgotten your roots?  Have you forgotten that There is no Author but
Jackson and Howard Is His Prophet?  Oh, lamentable day.

I'm kidding of course.

But, what TFT spells you should keep?  Hm, hard to say.  You're going to have
to make a big decision with regard to wishes and magic items.  A wish is
harder to get in TFT, but if you're using D&D style item enchantment, you need
a wish to make even a +1 dagger.  So unless you want magic items super-rare,
I'd suggest D&D style wishes.  (OTOH maybe you do want items to be super-rare.
 Regardless, the relative scarcity of wishes and the rationale behind item
creation will have an important effect on the overall tenor of the game from
the first day, not just once people get 9th level spells.)

Aging is a related issue.  You may want to adopt the whole D&D aging system,
since age is the ultimate limit to an individual's magical power in 1st and
2nd edition D&D.

But as far as TFT spells to keep in order to have that 'TFT flavor', I'd say
#1 is Gate and it's related spells (if you want gates of course).  Others
would be image and illusion, reveal/conceal, aid, trip, analyze magic,
stone/iron flesh (maybe--personally I hate them, but they are a large part of
that 'TFT flavor'), slippery/sticky floor, and word of command (another one I
hate, but there you go).

Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

-William Pitt (the younger), 1783