RE: (TFT) Minimum ST for armor?

This claim was in GURPS, I believe, but I have never seen any supporting
evidence. Any SCA-ers out there who can help us out? I do know that in my
younger days, I found torso pads and headgear to be rather uncomfortable to
use in Tae Kwon Do sparring. In fact, the headgear was probably the worse
because it restricted your peripheral vision. Shin guards and gloves caused
no problem, though feet guards were a bit clumsy. This was high density foam
construction and rather light, I'd imagine, compared with medieval armor.
The torso armor was bamboo in cloth and was both hot and constricting. You
felt like you were fighting in a turtle shell.

Also, the DX adjustment is critical to stave off the "everybody hits all the
time" problem (if only for a short while). A DX of 12 is a 75% chance of
success. So you'd have to go to some kind of parrying system like GURPS
(ick) or have some other defensive adjustment.

> > 3. You could introduce a minimum ST requirement for armor and
> > shields. Here are some very rough suggestions:
> >
> > a. Cloth, leather and small shields have no minimum ST (thereby
> > allowing thieves and the like to function effectively). Chain
> > is minimum ST 11; Half plate is minimum ST 13 and plate is
> > minimum ST 15.
> >
> > b. If you lack the requisite ST for armor, your DX and movement
> > allowance is reduced by 2.
>
> I would suggest that there's no DX adjustment -- but what you lack
> is 1 pt MA for each point of ST under the minimum ... AND that you
> must REST after so many turns of combat.

Interesting, but it really doesn't address the "DX is too valuable" problem
though.

> Cloth Armor: No rest
> period required;  Leather -- you must rest after 20 turns;  Chain
> requires you to rest after 15 turns -- plate after 10, etc.  So
> if Plate requires me to rest after 10 turns and has a minimum ST
> of 13 ... and I have adjST:10 ... then I have to rest after 7 turns
> of combat.

I wonder if you could do some kind of fatigue system lke this:

1. Fatigue (fST) is equal to your ST. Losing fST has no effect until you run
out of fST. Then you are "winded" and have your MA halved, your DX reduced
by 4 and your damage with melee weapons reduced by 2. (You can jazz this up
with rolls and whatnot if you wish).

2. Each turn of combat, you lose 1 fatigue if you're wearing chainmail, half
plate or plate. You lose 1/2 point if wearing leather or carrying any
shield.

--Ty