(TFT) Re: CC

Someone asked:

> Is "Campaign Cartographer" available as a
> stand alone product?

Yes.  It's made by Profantasy software in Britain.  (www.profantasy.com)  It's
basically CAD software, so it has a bit of a learning curve, but the manual is
helpful in that regard.  I believe they have a free evaluation version you can
try.

There are 'add ons' to it, most notably a City Designer and Dungeon Designer,
but the base Campaign Cartographer software is definitely usable on it's own,
including for dungeon drawing.  The add-ons just make those particular types
of maps somewhat faster to draw.  The latest version of CC ('Pro')
incorporates some of the ease-of-use features from the add-on packs.

With regard to hex maps, CC allows you to draw a hex grid with the 'grain'
going either from side-to-side or top-to-bottom.  It's not particularly set up
for mega-hexes, but they'd be easy enough to add in afterwards if you desired.
 Such a "mega-hexed" map could be saved as a template for future drawings.
Once a hex grid is placed, you can have additional items you draw 'snap' to
the hex centers or edges to keep things neat.

I'll add my usual disclaimer, that I have no links, financial or otherwise,
with the manufacturers.

There's also a freeware program called Autorealm that does similar mapping.
You may want to give it a try too.  I tried it briefly, but became annoyed
when I realized that upon installation it had replaced some of the fonts on my
computer with it's own, goofy, fonts.  I have no idea if that's typical of it
or not.  I don't have a URL for it; a search on 'Autorealm' should turn it up
quite easily, if you're interested.

(I'll leave the person who inquired anonymous, since his reply was private and
not to the list.  But I thought these additional details might be of interest
to others.)