(TFT) TFT HTH

> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:40:19 -0800
> From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
> Subject: RE: (TFT) Questions on HTH combat --> Rick's mutations.
> Hi Everyone,
> I've rewritten the HTH rules. But a super short summary looks like this:
> To engage someone in HTH during movement you must dive for their
> legs in a football style tackle. The defender adds one to the one die roll
> (and some talents give further  bonuses).
> If the attempts fail, the attacker lands prone in the hex he came from,
>  adjacent to the  defender.
> Otherwise HTH must be done from adjacent hexes as per the normal rules.
> Don't have time for long posts, sorry.
>
> Rick

Since I've been in quite a few mock (and some real) combats of this nature,
I know better from personal experience what really happens in this kind of
combat instance, and I've come up with a fairly different take on resolving
it.

Normally, whenever a player tells me their going to move into a opponent's
hex and engage in HTH, I ask them to describe exactly their going to do so
and then resolve the attempt from there.

For example:

If a PC intends to perform a flying tackle for the opponent legs, I'll give
the opponent a chance (Dx-4 roll) to jump up in the air to avoid the tackle,
(I suppose football players don't do this because they've got all that heavy
padding...), allowing the PC a chance to simply land one hex behind the
opponent, or underneath the opponent if the opponent is successful in their
jump. And If the PC lands underneath the opponent, then the opponent gets a
Dx-4 roll to land upright without stumbling, (otherwise the opponent comes
crashing down upon the Pc, perhaps adding a little injury to both of them if
the opponents very heavy...).  Then if the opponent is successful at landing
upright and also happens to have an appropriately short enough weapon handy,
then the opponent gets a chance (once only) to strike the prone PC who's now
below them before choosing to step out of the hex or obliging with engaging
in HTH on the next turn.

Alternatively, The opponent with an appropriate ready weapon may instead
choose to set a pole weapon against the pc or strike the pc  with a melee
weapon (both @ Dx-4) while the PC is performing the flying tackle instead of
avoiding it. Which can result in the PC inadvertantly skewering themselves
upon the pole weapon, much like a charging bear does when a hunter sets a
spear into the ground during such a charge attack. Or possibly getting
smacked with melee weapon.

Of course, there can be dozens of variants on this, but you get the general
idea. And in this way, I find that I somewhat capture the  chance that the
PC will receive some damage as a result of attempting to engage an opponent
in HTH, which better mirrors what happens in real life. Plus, I find it also
par's down on players usage of HTH attempts as they quickly realize, it's
not very wise to simply plow into an opponent who's got a handy weapon
available.

- Tim Sireno
 AKA White Wolf, Gamemaster of the World of Cendri TFT Campaign.