Re: (TFT) Questions on HTH combat

All,
	Thanks!
	It seems my compromise is not too far from the mainstream opinion;
it's nice to know that! A couple of comments:

Dan Tulloh supplied:
> MELEE, 5th edition (revised), lists 'ATTEMPT HTH COMBAT' as
> an option for engaged figures ONLY.

Makes no sense to me. If the HTH attacker is standing (having snuck or
teleported there) *behind* the guy with the halberd who's holding the rest
of the party at bay, I'd argue that he can jump on him and knock him down
during movement, allowing the rest of his party to run around (or over) the
resulting HTH pile without becoming "engaged" or subject to a pole-weapon
charge attack. See the rules in NFL Football on "clipping"... :-) or the
pp. 15 discussion (thanks Stan) of Ad. Melee.

David Michael Grouchy added:
>To attempt HTH one has to move onto the opponent.
>The following turn they can shift onto the figure.

Not sure that's exactly what I'm doing. I would allow an HTH attacker the
following in one turn:

Movement: up to 1/2 MA, ending in target's front hex (now engaged)
Action: shift onto target for HTH and make roll for attack.

If the target is a polearm user, he gets his (vs. charge) attack before the
HTH guy's action regardless of DX order. If the target uses a different
weapon, it depends on order of DX whether the HTH attempt happens first.

								- Mark