Re: (TFT) Spy magery

--- Stan <srydzews@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Prophesor wrote:
> >
> > TFT is rife with such spells already.  Illusion, Image:
> Lasts
> > one minute, as written.  Can it be renewed at a distance?
>
> Yes, but at double cost.  Maximum total duration of such
> renewals
> is only five minutes, though.

That smells like a house rule.  Our local house rule was yes,
you can renew at range, but Illusions cannot be maintained in
darkness.  They may pass through a dark place, but may not be
re-powered while there, or in fact 'summoned' into a Shadow hex.
 Images were not so well explored topically, but I would expect
them to be similar.  Another house rule was non-combat time, a
concept whereby a caster takes 12x the casting time, to get 12x
the duration of a spell.  And growing from that concept, is
Duration*Volume=Constant, whereby an Illusion-4hx spell may
produce an Illusion-1hx illusion with four times the normal
duration, Illusion-7hx yields seven times, etc...  This was the
era of Dar Fannen, and the entire Lost City needed exploring,
you see.

> > Astral Projection: this is a spell I _fear_ in the hands of
>  > PCs
>
> I agree that Astral Projection is rather out of hand.

I disagree, "Out of hand", "excessive", etc.

> The ability to cast spells into the material plane while
> astral is particularly excessive, even with the increased
> ST cost.

Not from where I sat (as Dar Fannen).  I got to get to the
Astral Plane with a grand total of 3ST remaining.  If I'd had an
array of apprentices, I might have felt it munchkin to drop Fire
on those guardian plants.  Or if I'd been able to actually _see_
in the sewers, they may have been explored too easily.  But such
was not the case.

Balance is individual, and YMMV.

>  However, if it's possible to create a permanent
> pentagram with a limiting enchantment of "only affects those
> inside the pentagram" (opinions on feasibility of this?) it
> would be very easy to make an extremely dangerous trap for
> astral miscreants.  Snooping mages check in, but they don't
> check out. :)

Ah, yes.  Leave the canon, Kill your PCs, and you solve the
problem.

Doesn't work for me, but again, YMMV.