Re: (TFT) The day the music died

From: "Tasonis, Greg" <Greg.Tasonis@FMR.COM>

For me, the great joy in FRPG was the incredible sense of wonder
in being able to take part in adventures of Tolkien-like scope and
flavor. Your own imagination was the only "accessory" required.

Greg,
Amen, brother, amen. Nothing quite like playing in a game session where you can actually hear the wind blowing through the trees. The sound of your boots crunching dried leaves on the path. And see the clouds rolling over the mountains in the distance.

We were all playing "Dragonslayer"...I think it was >SPI? ...
when I realized we were all consumed with percentages, rule books,
and character sheets instead of having fun.

I look at all these different books for AD&D2e and wonder. So If I want to play a paladin, I have to buy the prestige class paladin book. But what assurance does that give me thay my DM will know what is written in that book. Let alone make it a flowing part of their campaign. Or does that mean I get to quote rules at the GM from my book like its some kind of weapon or something.

Maybe it's an inevitable progression from wide eyed innocent to
jaded, rule-quoting, game system hording statistician.

lol. Seems to happen a lot. I remember one system that had so many rules one couldn't even breath. Ever play Aftermath?

  David Michael Grouchy II