Re: (TFT) Are TFT Magic Items Too Complicated?

--- David Michael Grouchy II

> >From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>

> >	If we were to republish TFT, would you say
> >that the system for making magic items is too
> >complicated?

> Rick,
>    If I had my wish, there are three things I would
> like to change.
>
>    1.  Every spell can be a potion (trailtwister)
>    2.  Every potion can be a magic item (youth)
>    3.  And every magic item can be a spell (crystal
> ball)

Agreed.  Or at least, if not, why not?  Explained per
case.  Certainly, I can invent the 'reason' that
Trailtwister enchants a space, and so is not
imbibable, or that Youth actually merges the
Dragonheart's essense with the drinker's essense, thus
the drinker is 'part of the potion', or that the
scrying matrix must be pure and devoid of
preconceptions, in a way no caster's mind could be,
not without days of meditation, and no common crystal
can serve, bla bla bla...

But then we aren't talking about a re-write for
seasoned GMs.  They've done theirs already.  We're
talking for the next generation, right?  Take the
reasonable step of spell>potion>item>spell, which is
easy, but maybe costs you some flavor, or the other
reasonable step of explaining the breaks, which isn't
easy, but definitely adds flavor.

>    Also as a general change in the numbers I really
> feel it takes too long
> to make magic items.  I have been GMing for
> countless years and only one
> character has ever made a magic item.  And that was
> a +1 sword.

We made magic items whenever we had the time.  Yes,
not often, what with Guild intrigue keeping us busy,
but three or four times a game-year, average.  Of
course, Dar Fannen was an Enchanter, so that likely
skewed things.  I'm sure if Dar was a warmage, things
would have been different.

>    I would like to see all the times changed from
> weeks to days.  So a +1
> sword could be made in one day.  It's a great part
> of the system, but no one
> gets to use it because it just takes too long.

Again, respectfully disagreed.