Re: (TFT) Are TFT Magic Items Too Complicated?

Stan writes:

> #1...well, that's the really tough one.  Since you don't have to know
> spells or be a wizard to make potions, just have the Alchemy talent,
> the connection between potions and spells is much more tenuous than
> the connection between items and spells.  Then there's the matter of,
> "So I drink this potion and it creates a temporary stone wall somewhere?
> What?"   It could be done this way, but just seems extremely odd.

I agree.  In my mind, potions should be limited to things that affect the
drinker only.  That still leaves a wide range of effects available - giving
the drinker Mage Sight to making him Insubstantial or Invisible, to
giving him aid (in ST, DX or IQ) to making him clumsy, giving him
speed or whatever.  It shouldn't allow the drinker to create a gargoyle,
summon a wolf or make a floor slippery though.

And the effects should last for a limited amount of time too.  One
wrinkle you might throw in is a small possibility that the potion has
either no affect on the drinker (he's immune), or that the effects of
the potion upon the drinker are permanent.  This should be a one-
time test -- you don't want to create the possibility that a PC will
quaff invisibility potions by the hundreds until one 'takes' and is
permanent.

Dan