Re: (TFT) Are TFT Magic Items Too Complicated?

Dan writes:

>but not from drinking it ... pouring it on the floor, maybe.

"Gem of Summoning - wolf". Or "Slippery Floor" (2 versions, the portable
one comes to mind.)

For the summoning gems, say the ensorcelling process involves hollowing out
the gem and entrapping some wolf's blood, etc. in it. Then it matches the
effects given for the "potion" pretty exactly.

For the slippery floor item, I'm guessing maybe a vial which emits a steam
that condenses immediately in the surrounding megahex.

I think "potion" implies something that has to be ingested (drunk or
breathed) to take effect. Else it's an "item", though the "item" may and in
some cases probably should involve some fluid components.

Rick said:

>	Having said that, I am not keen on
>the idea of every spell = every potion =
>every magic item.

Definitely agreed. Different characters, who have chosen different paths
(chemistry vs. alchemy vs. buying/making lots of items vs. learning lots of
spells) *should* have different strengths.

BTW, I really like Rick's religious effects. "Ya gotta *believe*...".

Stan wrote:

>I don't know...maybe for armor.  But for weapons, a
>'fine' weapon is a good deal cheaper and nearly as
>good--plus, it can't be easily dispelled the way W/A
>Enchantment is.

Or broken as easily! But:

W/A Ench. +1 = $1,000, or 2 weeks for an IQ 14 wizard (and 2 apprentices).
	(hm. Plus the underlying cost of the weapon, say $120 to compare
with..)
Fine+1 2-Hand sword = $1,200, or 6 weeks for an IQ 12 Master Armorer.

Double costs to go to +2 Damage, either way.
For smaller weapons, Fine is more cost-effective. I'd argue that all
weapons should have *both* for maximum cost-effectiveness. I'd also argue
that your best warriors (implying those that swing the biggest weapons)
should get the bonuses - and that implies Enchantment is likely to be
cheaper per-hit than Fine, if you have to choose. In any case, it's
quicker, and if the Wizard and/or Master Armorer are retainers, or if a war
is brewing quickly, that could be significant.
							- Mark