Re: (TFT) New magic item

--- Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu> wrote:
> Two 4-foot diameter gates, one about 1 ft. below the
> other, both
> horizontal, and a set of about 50 wooden balls, each
> about 1 inch in
> diameter. The gates have rules such that the only
> thing that they transfer...

Check the archives.  You have no idea how well-hashed
this topic is...  But then, we do love us some hash.

At some point, your gate pair will fail, flickering
for a minute (canonical) before giving out completely.
 Then your fifty wooden balls hit whatever you were
fanning.  At terminal velocity.

A 'safety' gate pair, with entrance under your fan
pair, with Rule to function only after the fan pair
starts flickering, and the exit just above the
basement floor, or some such, makes it a working
proposition.  You can even turn the fan off by fishing
out the little balls in the winter, then dumping them
back in when summer comes around.  :)

You do need some sort of baffle guard to keep them
from occasionally knocking each other out of the gate.
 Come to think of it, over time, this thing would dust
the room with sawdust.

Hmmm...  replace the wooden balls with Iron shots (and
change the Rule for the Fan pair), and put an
unfinished Gate just above the lower of the fan pair.
The Rule for the unfinished gate is "Anything that
came out of 'top fan gate' less than X time ago. (With
X chosen to select objects moving only suitably
quickly)

In time of war (or pending war), sail (under false
colors) within sight of an enemy
harbor/capital/palace/temple/marketplace, and finish
the gate.  Back home, start dumping
cannonballs/rocks/dead cats/leaflets into your 'tavern
fan'...