From: tft-owner@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-owner@brainiac.com]On Behalf Of
Stan
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 3:49 AM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: Re: (TFT) Heritage/Philosophy of TFT

> Forgive me for chiming in here, but I do believe that the
> majority of frpgs out there are based VERY CLOSELY on Tolkein.

I think that the inspiration for most 70's FRP games is about equally split
between three things: Tolkein, Jack Vance, and R.E. Howard/C.A. Smith genre
swords and sorcery from the 1930's.  I'm tempted to throw in Moorcock as an
item all his own, but I'll consider him as part of that third category.

Maybe the Tolkein elements are what we notice most, but if you're familiar
with these other things, they're definitely in there too.

In any case, I stand my my statement that if TFT is supposed to be
re-creating Middle Earth, it's doing a p*ss poor job, what with its gates,
raising the dead, martial artists, and 'wizard' being just another entry on
the job table.