(TFT) solo 005

SOLO III
Demon World
Part 005

Youre lying in bed, covered, warm, and exhausted. Weakness is a constant in every muscle. You ache and breath shallow. But you mind is alert and grasping to understand. A young boy and two girls come in with a steaming bowl of water, bandages, and some towels. They are here to clean and dress the wound. One of the girls speaks as they pull the covers back. ''The new kids are still a little lost, but Gail did well calming them down.'' The hot water feels good as they start wiping away the dried blood and hair. The girl continues talking about the lost looking children. ''They are having trouble realizing they cant get home from here.'' The three of them gently roll you over and begin cleaning the back of your wound. She continues ''But so did we all.'' They dry you off with another towel. ''So weve paired each one of the new kids with one of last years to be their friend.'' They slowly wrap youre entire chest with a bandage. Rolling you gently to one side, then the other, and passing the bandage roll around. ''We might not loose any of them.'' The three children seem very young to be doctors, but their handling, their bed side manor, and the perfect wrap of the bandages says they are accomplished and skilled. ''If we can keep them from running away.'' They settle you back and put new blankets on you. Then they pick up their stuff. ''Having a friend seems to help. Too bad we didnt know that in the beginning.'' You ask them a question ''Are we...'' You hesitate. ''Are we all dead?'' The three kids just stand in the doorway and stare at you for a long second. The boy speaks for the first time. ''Were alive. Thanks to you the demons didnt eat us.'' And with that they drop the curtain across the doorway and leave you to sleep.

  David Michael Grouchy II