Re: Re: (TFT) Heritage/Philosophy of TFT

----- Original Message -----
From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>

> Hi all,
> I agree with what you say.  The D&D magic
> system was certainly based on Jack Vance's Dying
> Earth novels.
>
> Rick

I agree, though I think that one can adapt TFT to a Middle Earth campaign
with relatively little work. The combat system is already a pretty
reasonable one (there's a nifty TSG article on hobbits and their weaponry
for the curious) for Middle Earth -- give Boromir chain armor, large shield,
warrior and veteran and he'll take a lot of arrows before falling. The magic
system will need to be seriously pruned, though. One problem is that we see
very little magic in LOTR, so the implication is that it's not something
typically used by wizards in combat situations. I'd ditch the iron effects
on spells, however, since Gandalf wields a sword presumably made of iron.

--Ty